Have you ever wondered what it takes to get from naught to operations with regard to software development?
In the end this post will describe how to go from a clean OS X system (aka out of the box) to a development machine for the types of development I’m aiming for.
But of course this is just my idea of the way to get to a clean and maintainable system – remember that YMMV! But this approach works for me.
- Bare System
- + Xbench [a + indicates an installation ]
- Update OS X to current version
- + Skype
- + iWork
- Update all software to current version (via software update)
- setup Safari (No auto-load, bookmarks, homepage)
- Backup (Time Machine)
- + SuperDuper!
- Backup (SuperDuper)
- Clone Disk (twice)
- enable sudo
- + homebrew (download instead of curl to tar)
- + xcode
- + brew git [+brew means installed via homebrew, which btw worked on 966 files requiring 18M and completed the build in 73 seconds]
- + Click to Flash
- + Flash [Note the order!]
- + Perian
- + Growl
- + twitter (via appstore – gasp! )
- generate ssh keys
- + github (connection to)
- + dropbox
- +MacVim (because I’m a keyboard junkie and because Yehuda said so 😉 )
- +teleport (because I’m still working with my regular laptop as well)
- +gpg (via GPG-Tools after sone consideration)
Specific Setup for Website development
Of course this list is not yet (2011-02-25) complete by far! But since this is not my primary computer I can take a real long time to set it up.